The SOTO Mechanical Engineering team were engaged to design a heated discharge chamber with a steering roll. Our expertise in the design of complicated process line equipment enabled successful design of the process line furnace chamber including3D modeling, Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and thermal analysis which were used to provide a superior design, improving strip quality and improving ease of maintenance.
The SOTO team were required to design an innovative furnace chamber with the ability to steer the strip and reduce production and maintenance downtime. This included:
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to prevent fatigue cracking of welds
- thermal analysis of the steering roll to maintain the strip on the centerline
- designing the insulation to limit temperature loss and warping of the external structure
- an expanded project scope by including the design of surrounding equipment, lifting and maintenance equipment and a second discharge chamber.
The achievements and outcomes of the project included:
- improved sealing design to maintain gas tight structure
- added heating and temperature control
- the roll bearings and actuator were maintained within their temperature limits
- the design of lifting and maintenance equipment for plug and play installation.