The SOTO team were engaged to design a modular conveyor belt reeler that could cope with the strenuous demands of replacing their long overland conveyor belts at an Iron Ore Mine in Western Australia.
The SOTO team were required to meet the following specifications in the design of the modular conveyor belt reeler:
- 70kN belt tension in any reeling position
- Speed and tension adjustable reeling in both directions
- Hagglunds Hydraulic drive system integrated into the drive pedestal.
- Adaptable to suit belt widths from 1000 to 2000mm
- Belt lengths up to 1500m on a single roll
- Easy roll changes for long overland conveyors
- A 30kW, 3 phase power requirement
- Modular design to allow the system to be transported in manageable sections.
The modular conveyor belt reeler design has achieved the following:
- The new reelers have already been used to replaced 8.7 km of belt
- Each belt reel holds 1.5km of pre-spliced belt at a time, minimising the number of splices required during shutdown
- The belt replacement was successfully conducted with the new reelers performing without fault.