The SOTO Mechanical Engineering team were engaged to review and replace brake components of the man and materials winder (M&M) after a brake failure, ensuring the new components meet the requirements of Australian Mining Guidelines. The man and materials winder was originally shipped to Australia during the first world war and was operated by steam.
The following requirements were included in the scope of this project:
- Ensuring engineered brake components complied with Mining Guidelines
- Verification of calculations using FEA (Finite Element Analysis)
- Site verification and surveying to ensure smooth installation
- Project management of manufacture, installation and commissioning
- Front end engineering study for a disk brake system.
SOTO’s achievements included:
- Design verification of 34t mine winder brake
- Replacing the brake with compliant components
- Adding a load cell to provide braking feedback
- Brownfields Installation was completed early during short Christmas shutdown.