The SOTO Mechanical Engineering team were engaged to develop a new motorised conveyor take-up unit for a Coal Terminal in New South Wales. The design of the new winch and roll carriage has improved conveyor belt tracking and reduced downtime.
The SOTO team’s role incorporated design, 3D modeling and Finite Element Analysis (FEA). The scope included:
- the design of a winch and carriage for 60t loads
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) of the carriage structure to analyse fatigue
- incorporating existing components to reduce costs.
Our achievements and outcomes for this project included:
- the removable roll and carriage axles to allow installation without the need to join the conveyor belt
- increased take-up unit tension to improve conveyor belt tracking.