SOTO Sponsors Ride Around the Lake to Support Homeless Youth

Posted on April 3, 2017 in Community & News

SOTO Consulting Engineers is thrilled to sponsor local charity fundraising event Ride Around the Lake 2017. As an event that combines SOTO’s passions for community and cycling, the organisation is excited to support the event in raising funds and awareness for youth at risk of homelessness.
Ride Around the Lake 2017 is aimed at ‘breaking the cycle’ of youth at risk of homelessness by raising social awareness and funds for Lighthouse Youth Initiative, a program offered by non-profit organisation Lighthouse, supporting homeless youth. The Lighthouse Youth Initiative specifically works to provide safe and affordable accommodation for homeless youth aged 18-24 years in the Illawarra, as well as support through training, life skill development and employment related experience. Each year, the Initiative provides dozens of disadvantaged youth the opportunity to break free from the pattern of homelessness and forge a brighter future through its housing and educational services. With over 1200 young people taking shelter in the streets of Illawarra each night, The Lighthouse Youth Initiative has much work to do. Receiving just 53% of its funding from the government, the program relies on the generosity and spirit of the local community for the remaining 47% of funds. As the Initiative’s flagship annual fundraiser, Ride Around the Lake presents the citizens of the Illawarra region with a unique opportunity to participate in the eradication of youth homelessness in a meaningful and enjoyable way.

Official Ride Around the Lake 2017 Launch

SOTO Consulting Engineers’ founder, Frank Soto, attended the official media launch for Ride Around the Lake 2017 at The Woolshed Cafe.

Ride Around the Lake 2017 will be the 8th Ride to bring recreational cycling for a philanthropic cause to the Illawarra and will be held on Saturday, 6th May. Each year, participation and fundraising continues to increase, along with the positive impact on the homeless youth in the region. This year’s Ride is set to be the biggest and best yet. The event comprises two rides or courses, including a 40km “Ride Around the Lake” experience, open for riders aged 16 years and over with younger riders between 12-15 years allowed with an accompanying adult, and a 10km “Lakeside” ride that is open to all. Fun and participation are the focus of the Ride, with community members encouraged to take part in the light and safe scenic course. Both routes start at Lakeside Reserve, Lakeside Parade, Kanahooka, with the 40km ride starting from 7.45am-8am and the 10km scenic ride starting at 9am. If you’re unable to physically take part, community members are also able to offer their support by way of donation or by sponsoring another rider.
To get involved by registering to ride, donating, or sponsoring a rider, visit http://ridearoundthelake.com.au
For more information about the Lighthouse Youth Initiative, check out their website at http://adifferentlight.com.au/portfolio/lighthouse-youth-initiative